Monday, April 23, 2007

Job Offer

Well, for those of you who don't know, I had a job interview last week at a small company in Cayuga, Ontario, called Cayuga Cabinets. The husband of one of the ladies I currently work with at Redeemer owns the business with his brother. Several months ago, I was asked if I would be interested in information on a new position that they are creating in their company. At the time, I wasn't really looking for a new job but thought it couldn't hurt to at least see what they had to offer. I received a job description a few weeks ago, which didn't interest me at all. However, they asked to meet with me and I thought I'd better go hear what they have to offer. After talking with both owners, I'm quite confident that this is a job that could play on my strengths and skills. I was offered the job and just received word today on the remuneration they would offer me (a decent improvement on my current salary). It's also a little flattering that I was approached and asked to interview rather that go through an application process. I really liked the company and find it has a very positive feel. They place a definite value on their employees and liked the room for growth available to me. The only minor downsides are that I wouldn't get benefits for a full year and that it starts at 7:30 in the morning (which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't 30 minutes away). I'd have to get used to driving a distance to work. I've been spoiled with my 2-minute drive to work for the last few years. I'd work until 5 pm each day and would likely get every other Friday off, which I wouldn't mind at all.

Please pray for me right now as I make this decision. Currently I'm leaning more towards taking it. However, I have a great connection and community with Redeemer that will be hard to part with. When you have students telling you that it wouldn't be the same if you weren't around, it makes you feel special. I have to talk with my boss this week to let him know what's going on. As mom stated, I also have to consider the fact that I didn't go looking for this and perhaps God is leading me to make a change in my life. I covet your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

Luitings said...

Hey Jenn,

It sounds like you've pretty well made up your mind already. Sometimes it's good to get out of the rut we find outselves in. Maybe it's time to make a new one!

*Kara* said...

hiya jen...i totally agree...it sounds to me like you've made up your mind already!! I will be praying for you as you make the decision!

Rob and Arlene said...

Go for it! Before Arlene and I were married I was working at Beaver Lumber which ended in disaster. I was down on my luck and working for brother-in-law in the cold and muck and rain in construction. I hated every minute of it. Then I got a call from Van Hoof Siding with a job offer. I never called them or considered them. It was an answer to prayer! That was a little over ten years ago! It is the best job I've ever had. If you feel the Lord calling you to this then do it. Your Mom is right. This is the Lord calling you to a change in life. Leaving Redeemer would be tough but change is good. Like Kara said, "your mind is made up".